Thursday, June 11, 2009

Tour de Tykes

Sunday Wee Vick and I were set to race Tour de Tykes in Danville. Due to a change of plans the richie's (straub and o'neil) were home and decided to come along. This was fantastic for me as Rich would drive letting me off the hook. I was so tired I slept most of the way there.

We knew the course had lots of climbing but I was surprised how much. I got some bad beta and attacked at the top of the 1st climb. I *thought* there was a downhill to recover, but it was a gradual singletrack climb instead so I blew up on it and lost all my efforts then followed everyone on the downhill. There were few places to pass - most was tight singletrack. So it was fun and I soon started using my front deraileur to correspond to the abrupt elevation changes.

I finished pretty strong and wasn't that far off the podium which was good b/c I was already beat from the previous couple days. Wee Vick aka The Highland Hammer placed second. Rich O'neil took 3rd and Strauber was in the mix for the Overall which was really something as the course favored 100 lb riders with its steep, long climbs.

Afterwards we hit a rope swing and swam in the river. A great post ride cool down. I love swimming after rides - sweet day!

No comments: