Thursday, June 25, 2009

Stoopid 50

I hit the pre-ride a little late (8:30am) but I figured I had lots of time to fix anything along the way. I removed a sign left over from the Rothrock Challenge running race, added a few arrows on the extension, then tried to fix a turn near the log landing. Going up thickhead I met Chris in the vehicle coming down doing some last minute marking. After a quick chat, I continued within a few minutes I heard someone, something behind me! Eatough! He was in the midst of an attack and had about 20 seconds. I followed him then Harlin and Schalk up to 'Wall' . There race pace efforts showed as they slowed considerably on the steeps. A singlespeeder passed me and got off to walk the wall then my friend Martin. So I jumped in with him until near the top where I decide to try to clean up a fall that was partially blocking the road.

I went over to the Detweiler intersection and hung there with Eric Scott and cheered everyone as they went by. After a while I was bored and continued to the aide station. I worked their the rest of the day then 'post rode' the course with the last rider and Kberg. It was fun to bomb down detweiler as I had to 'run' it a few days before. We met up with Greg Harris who decided he would sweep with Kev so I skipped Gettis and went back via bear meadows, added in Lonberger and hit the finish line to see a few people cross. Misty was there so we went back to Tussey together and I got to see the awards and see friends. A hard day of work, but well worth it. Much easier to ride in it I think!

Congrats to everyone who finished. I thought the course was much more challenging than the original. I'd kind of like them to keep it that way.

No comments: