Thursday, June 11, 2009

Griz Spring 09

Headed up to Parker Dam last friday to meet the Griz group for the Saturday part of the ride. I had ridden Rockton but never Quehanna and was looking forward to some *strange*. I arrived Friday night locals Yoda and K-berg were already there as was the Griz himself, Big Dawg, Toni, Karl, Mucker, Huber and some of the NE boys including the elusive Dutch EAGLE! Later Joe Wychock and Pontzer showed to round out our group. We did the traditional beer drinking, fire making, shit talking, and headed off to bed before midnight. Little did I know that they would wake me at 6:30am - that was not a pleasant experience! The HO needs his beauty sleep, Sat especially. We got to the trailhead about 10:30 and headed out. After 40 yds of rail trail we hit the singletrack - we wouldn't leave it for 20+ miles! These are some seriously sweet trails. Hard to describe - the terrain kind of reminded me of out west without the mtns. The trails meandered and took their time, you kind of had to savor them. Very different, very cool. Anyways we ripped off the first 10 miles then some of us got lost, we hit some hike a bike stuff due to slick rocks. By the time we hit Jeff's Vista I was out of water. I then helped Mucker with a tire issue and all I could think about was beer by the end of the ride. I had no need for an additional 10 mile loop even though Jay de Hey showed at the trailhead. So we headed back to camp for food, beer, and frisbee! I hadn't thrown one in years - need to put one in the car for the summer. The rest of guys came back from the short loop and few us went to take an dusk dip in Parker Lake(?). It was actually pretty good temp-wise. But the bath house had super hot showers which ended the day quite nicely. I drove home regretting I couldn't stay over for more fun and hijinx. Great to see everyone and especially Griz. Gonna have to take him up on the Colorado offer sometime.

pic later

No comments: