Wednesday, July 29, 2009

What biking means to me

So I've been thinking about all the great experiences over the past few years and what my bike has meant to me. So forgive the intraspective nature of this post, I'm still the jackass/badass/asshole you know and love.

1) Biking gave me peace through a difficult divorce. It got me out, improved my mental state, put things in perspective and literally (and metaphorically) moved me to the next step in my life.
2) Biking renewed old friendships and keeps adding new ones. After 8 years of 'horse' friends and couples I really had no one close to me. Darius, my original mtb partner, and I kind of got back into biking at the same time. Now we're close again. I started hanging out with Pontz and K-berg, then Yoda.... Wait is this positive? : )
3) Biking gives me goals and structure. I never believed I could finish 101 miles. I've done the W101 twice now. I never believed I would enjoy a road ride, now I'm hooked. My life is one of job/chores/when can I ride? My vacation is a week of riding!
4) Its not about the bike, is it? Two speeches I have for relationships. The I'm-on-a-ride-dont-know-when-back speech and the dont-make-me-choose-bt-you-and-the-bike speech. Sad. Callous maybe, but true.
5) Biking is my freedom. Do I really have to explain the grin I have when riding? Whether it is in my yard or deep in nowhereville, you are free. Jump a log, ride scary fast, climb like Contador! It's amazing.
6) Biking is healthy. Kind of self-explanatory. I thought I was in shape when I played soccer and ran 3 miles a day. I wasn't, I was just 18. Each year I eat better and put on another layer of fitness - unbelievable. Plus beer is a recovery beverage, dy-no-mite!!!
7) The Cool factor. I admit it - I love the gear. I am at the point where I have to stop myself from buying more. I own 3 mtn bikes, 1 cross, 1 commuter, and 2 junkers. I have jerseys I never wear! Good grief, I like spandex!
8) Racing. Whether it is formal or just competition between friends. How great is it to challenge yourself, to push beyond one's own expectations. Sure I fail. More than I succeed for sure. But I learn so much. Competition is still fun, and I still only race against one person - myself.
9) Can I be your domestique? I'm not very fast. I don't sprint well, climb well, or downhill well. But I have always thought of myself as good enough at each to be of aid. Need a pacer up a climb, a pull back to the pack, that's me. I do have above average technical skills but those aren't really talent, it is more like determination, strength, and self belief that mask my horrible lines.
10) Inspiration. Whether it be the Vista from the Continental Divide or a Rothrock sunset (best in the world) there is inspiration. Seeing others improve and reach goals, riding the w101 with Todd, seeing Leah finish the Iron Cross, watching Madison progress into a Dynamo. Getting that rock garden, hitting that jump. Wow. wow. wow.

And finally the laughter and sharing with you, my friends. If you have ridden with me, put up with my babble, shared a beer, or screamed with me in absolute joy then consider yourself in my debt. Sharing the joy in my life is the best of all.

HO

2 comments:

mountain bound said...

awww-- lovely post ho... ALL SO TRUE.
and so out of character (wtf??). :)
rock the 101 tomorrow cowboy!!!

Frank said...

I think you need to redo the clunker count in #7. Aren't they all?