Wednesday, July 8, 2009

HO fest 2009!

I think this was the 4th annual HO-fest. What a run! HO-fest is around 4th of July, we ride Black Mo, swim in the lake, then cookout in Port Matilda at the Chateau d'HO. Usually the ride is super rocky, super technical and borders on a death march. This year I changed things. I knew the Century would take it out of us so I decided to go with a easier loop with fireroads.

We started out on the 'beginner' loop doing Ski slope up and down, then across 504 to the group campground, out the road to star mill. Instead of going left on the AFT we headed right on the fireroad and picked up the AFT on shirks after the bridge. This section was pretty overgrown and did not impress the others. We re-grouped at the road and I endured (deservingly) some 'praise' for my route selection. We forged ahead and this section wasn't as bad, but by the time we hit Wolf Rocks rd I sensed everyone had enough 'primitive' trail for the day.

We headed back on strawband beaver and my legs did not respond at all. Fortunately Yoda was on his SS speed so his top end was limited and I could ride with him. We stopped for a photo with my relative. We regrouped at Julian pike and headed over to take the AFT the other direction (north). This section was great! The trail maintainer had just brushed it back. The downhill after crossing smays was absolutely a rip! Good times.

We kicked out on Underwood Rd and decided just to head back. The hills on North Run rd seemed steeper than ever, but snowmobile was peaceful and pleasant. Back at the parking area we enjoyed a refreshing swim in the healthy waters of Lake Black Mo. Then it was down to Port for BBQ, beer, and great conversation.

Thanks to everyone who showed. Another awesome day in woods with awesome folks. Whew, what a weekend!

No comments: