Friday, February 1, 2008

First Road Ride of the Season


Jan 8, 2008. Temps soar into the 60's. I take a half day off work and get the Black Steed gussied up and ready to ride. I start from my place outside Port Matilda and ride in to Wheelworks - 16 miles. After a quick route verification from Harry I'm off on my way home which will be slightly longer. I am happy!

I am lord of road. I am free. All is right in the world. It is only me, my bike, and the road. A perfect day to ride! Look at this....

A mile later I take a right into a tremendous headwind that saps my strength. I had forgotten a snack and now I feel myself fading on some rollers. Worse than that, it is getting dark and I have to pick up the pace. Did I mention I have to climb back over the mountain to Port? I crest the climb to catch the last minute of daylight. Goodbye, Sun! Fortunately there is no traffic in my direction on 220 and I make it home just as dusk fades. First ride + alive= Good Ride.

No comments: